Monday, July 6, 2009

7/3/09 Thanks for all the fish.

Another Friday of delivering fish and another day spent in the rain. I'm getting pretty sick of this, I made a comment to my boss that it's the Pennsylvania monsoon season: it rains till it snows. This is true this year, no droughts over here! We've got rain to spare! Ship some to California, they always got forest fires.

I always feel its necessary to remind people that there is a holiday coming up by wishing them a happy holiday, whatever that holiday may be. It's not required of me but I've been doing it since my first Christmas at Fox's. It just adds more personality to my deliveries and I don't feel like a robot on a script. It didn't work today but sometimes when doing that I can actually get a few more bucks in tips from people who think that was nice of me. It's rare but it has happened.

I have a major problem when I deliver though. It's something that I've been doing since the beginning, by the end of the night my money bag looks like a rats nest. I never stop to organize my money. My boss is constantly telling me that some night I'm gonna get burned cause I'm gonna hand back a $50 instead of a $5 just cause I can't see in my bag. But it hasn't happened. Unfortunately I seem to only learn through failure, so it will be at that point I start to keep my bag organized.

Another problem, not mine, is that on Fridays we have a lot more customers who pick up than usual. So there is usually someone standing out front. The problem is that we have a... Very laid back atmosphere here, and swear words tend to fly quite often, even from the boss. You can see where this is going. It's normally not a problem, but some of the older people tend to get offended. But who can they complain to when the man in charge is the one doing it? Perks of being an independent franchise. It does create a down home environment and we welcome customers to join in to our conversations and a chosen few are even welcomed to the back room to hang out with us. Another reason I love Fridays.

The more I write about the shop I work at the more I realize it's a lot different than the average pizza place. My boss started out as just an employee for a boss who was basically a dick. But he worked his way up and finally bought the place. From day one he decided to have fun and be the good guy boss, and it's amazing how loyal we all are to the shop and to him because of this. It's pretty much why I've been there for over 4 years. He's the only boss I know of that would take you out for your 21st birthday!

Totals: 25 deliveries $64


P.S. I'd like to apologize to anyone who is an English major for the cluster fuck that is my blog. I slept through English class... Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment