Monday, June 22, 2009

6/21/09 Sometimes They Write Themselves

Off I go on my second delivery of the night. I get to the house, say my hellos, hand off the pie (in this case a big daddy and a dozen hot wings), and ask for 21.98. To which I get handed a $100 bill. Now if I had been given warning that Benjamin Franklin was going to be busted out I would have had change, but no, I'm expected to figure this out myself.

In my four years of delivering I've realized one thing about these type of people: They believe my bag has magical powers capable of breaking any bill at any time. Sorry David Copperfield, if only it worked that way. Instead I start out with $20 in change and go from there. Of course now I've lost my tip, because I can't conjure up $75. The more I think about it the more I realize they're the same people who think the internet is a series of tubes.

I love delivering, I do. But stupid people piss me off. That's going to be a recurring theme in this blog.

My first delivering this night was very special though. My dad is very easy to please, he loves food and not much else besides the Steelers and Deadliest Catch. When I came in at 3 I got started making his two favorite Fox's foods. A medium thin and crispy pizza with sausage, and a dozen butter garlic wings. He had no clue I was coming and it was definatly my favorite Father's Day present i've ever gotten him!

Anyway, I also got a chance to show off my food safety skills today. We cook our wings in a deep fryer for 15 minutes, which is actually overcooking but it covers our asses. Of course the key is to remember when you put the wings in, which I never do. To fix this I got a thermometer so I can read the internal cooking temp of the wings. Poultry is considered safe once it's internal temp is kept at 165 F for at least 15 seconds. So knowing this I was checkin' chicken all day and not worrying about the clock. I figured for all the money my boss paid to get me that certification, this is the least I can do in return.

Ok, Final totals: 17 deliveries 41 bucks

Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment